Monday, March 14, 2016

Trials that make you feel like you are going to die, Keep You Alive

Dear Family,

Today I am going to introduce you to Hermana Sarmiento. She is my new companion from Barranquilla Colombia. When her mom was pregnant with her, she got sick and when Hna. Sarmiento was born, she couldn´t hear, and she could barely see. As a child she couldn´t talk, only sign to communicate with other people. When she got a little older, her parents put her into therapy so she could start recognizing sounds and use a hearing aid to learn how to talk. After about a year she learned. At this point she can talk and hear if you speak loudly, but she talks a little differently. Also with this weakness, she is a little slower at learning, but when she learns or memorizes something, she never forgets it.

She has the faith to move mountains. Her prayers penetrate the heavens. And everytime she bears her testimony to people, they know she is a messenger of God, a representative of Jesus Christ. She is 35 years old, convert of 13 years, the only member in her family of Catholics. She studied and obtained 3 degrees, her specialty being mechanical engineering in electrical systems. She also had to work 3 jobs before the mission to get enough money to go on the mission. She is exactly obedient and loves the Lord more than anyone else.

Last week, as we were waiting for the new missionaries to arrive, President Warne wanted to talk to me privately. There, in the mission house, in President´s office, I was told about my future companion and the things I would have to prepare for to help her adjust to missionary life. Coming out of President´s office, I honestly had no feelings, just numb. And to be honest, every single day this week I have cried and prayed to Heavenly Father to strengthen me and take care of the things I cannot do, because there are a lot. As I have come to know my new companion, she has become my best friend. I can honestly say that she speaks with the power of the Spirit and I know she is a literal angel from God. I feel like she is teaching me more than I could ever teach her in a lifetime. She LOVES EVERYONE that she comes into contact with. I wish you could all meet her because you would never be the same again. When you are with her, you KNOW God exists. This week has been hard, and I know every single week of this last change is going to be hard. But I am grateful for my Heavenly Father who has given me an angel to be my companion, who will change my life and the lives of those that let her into their hearts. I hope you have the chance to meet an angel here on earth. I have the hope that one day, in the Celestial Kingdom, when she is perfect, we can be neighbors in the mansions of our Father because I know she is going there and only by the grace of God will I ever even have a chance to get there. 

I love you all tons. Have an amazing week. Pray everyday, and Feast upon the Scriptures everyday. That is how you can come to know God. He loves you. I love you. Until next week.

Hermana McCubbins



This is my new companion, Hermana Sarmiento. She is ALSO from Colombia,
like my last companion Hna. Garcia. :D
New trainers meeting.


From the Mission Matron's Blog, can you spot her?

The side of Jessica's head as she helps a missionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment